Saturday, August 22, 2015

Surrender

Over time the anger within me subsided. I learned to accept the final outcome, even though my questions still begged for answers. My heart leaned more toward absolute surrender, and healing loomed closer than I knew.
The first weekend in May, I attended a spiritual retreat for women after a friend suggested it. I struggled with mixed feelings about the retreat. My husband attended the one for men the weekend before and came home different, almost like a new person. I knew I needed the time away, but I didn’t know a soul there. Since I’d already taken the time off of work and arranged for a substitute to cover my class for two days, I went, but reluctantly.
This retreat differed from any other retreat I attended in my life. The women did almost everything corporately, and the leaders packed the schedule tightly, leaving little room for reflection or time alone with God. However, God used a few periods of silence to speak to my heart.
I almost laughed when I heard the whole weekend themed around the concept of restoration.
“Okay, God, I’m listening. I’ve been on a quest for healing for the last seven months. I guess I’m exactly where You want me this weekend.”
Once again, the songs hit a chord deep within my soul as we sang about God turning our weeping into dancing, lifting a weight of sadness from us to give us joy again. Would God do that for me? Did I still have a reason to sing?
I met some incredible ladies that weekend, and I found a kindred spirit who remains a dear friend even today. She and I connected almost immediately, and we barely spent a moment apart whenever we found a chance to hang out together. I thanked God for giving me this new, dear friend to help me continue through this journey.
Many tears spilled that weekend, which happens often on spiritual retreats, but not a single tear belonged to me. I watched others bear their hearts to one another and let go of hurts they held onto for far too long. Seeing their walls come down helped me realize how many walls I’d built up around myself. I suddenly saw how many people reached out to me over the last several months only to have me push them away.
My heart finally softened. I really didn’t have to do this alone.
The final day of the retreat, God pressed heavily on my heart and asked me to trust Him. I wanted so badly to grow in my faith again, but as long as I held on to my whys, my faith couldn’t grow. I couldn’t grow. I needed to trust Him even if I never found answers. Did I trust His character more than I trusted in His power to bring it all together?
Holding on to Juan David and Viviana kept me stuck in a miserable pit of self-pity. I knew they held me back from the growth I desperately wanted. I silently cried out to God that morning, finally surrendering those children to their Father who gave them to me in the first place.
“God, I do still trust You with them, even if I never know anything else about them. I trust You to give them the family they deserve.” I felt like a huge weight lifted from my shoulders.



Our final hour, each woman shared how God spoke to her during the retreat. I stood there in front of everyone with tears finally streaming down my cheeks.
“I came here grieving the loss of two children after a failed adoption. These have been the hardest six months of my entire life. God took my faith at its strongest point and crushed it.”
Then, without knowing where the words even came from, I continued, “But I believe He broke us, broke our family, in order to make something beautiful out of our story.”

 I did not realize God began to lift us out of the valley that very moment, carrying us right back up toward the mountain we confidently stood on a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment