Saturday, January 30, 2016

Operating under God's economy

Image result for image of airplane from United States to Colombia

Now the middle of February, we had four months left until our trip to Colombia. Other than Julian and Juan David, we didn’t know a soul there. Well, we knew the man who previously pastored our Spanish congregation at church who recently moved back to Bogotá. However, I had not been able to get in touch with him, despite many repeated tries.

I still can’t believe we planned a trip to a foreign country we’d never been to in hopes of meeting a boy we’d never seen before except in pictures. We didn’t know anyone, we had no idea where to stay, how to get around, what it might cost us, or even what to do while there. We didn’t even know for sure if we could see Julian. But, we booked our flights and blocked out fifteen days of our year to spend there.
We did contact one missionary, who tried to put us in touch with another missionary, so that might cover a few days of our time. I thought back to the Christian school I found online back in November. We couldn’t make it all the way to Colombia and not at least visit the school.
I found the director’s contact information on the webpage, and I sent her an e-mail explaining the story leading us to Colombia. I also explained our desire to scope out the mission field in order to find out if God might have a ministry for us in Colombia. I told her I had a degree in Christian ministries as well as teaching experience in bilingual education, so I asked if we could see the school and perhaps talk to a few teachers during those two weeks in June.
When she responded back to me a few weeks later, she seemed enthusiastic to meet us. Our story touched her. We’d arrive in time for graduation, and several teachers would be coming and going through the school the following week.
Wow. God began to show me His perfect timing. My teaching experience and background interested her, and she hoped Mike might consider joining the maintenance team at the school, as well. Her next question still brings me goose bumps.
“Will you need a place to stay?” She explained that many of her teachers live there as missionaries and go back to the States right after graduation. We could stay in one of their apartments for a minimal cost, helping them out financially in their absence.
I could hardly believe it. Four months away and still clueless about any details of our trip, God connected us with yet another ministry to visit and also gave us a place to stay. Plus, we’d get to help another missionary by staying there. Only in God’s economy do things like this ever happen! What a confirmation that we heard God’s guidance correctly even regarding the dates of this trip.

We still had no idea where Julian might reside or where he'd work, but God showed me He walked far ahead of us in every aspect of our story. He kept tapping my shoulder, whispering in my ear, “This is one trip I’m not letting you plan. I already planned every moment of every day for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment