Sunday, October 25, 2015

Kisses from Colombia


Grace. A word I never understood. I even graduated from a college called Grace, and I still didn’t get it. You have to experience grace to grasp it. I knew His grace would be sufficient, but I didn’t know what that meant. I had to live by it day after day to understand.
God’s grace came to us in many ways. It arrived in the form of an e-mail, connecting me to someone I could finally talk to, someone who understood precisely what and who I lost, who could fill in the gaps like no one else could. Grace came through comfort from friends who carried us in prayer. It came in the form of a letter from someone I thought I’d never hear from again. It came in the form of a picture, one of my sweet boy blowing me kisses and one of my precious girl smiling from ear to ear, with her hair all grown out. It also came in the form of a smile, one of the most beautiful smiles I had ever seen, on the face of a boy I wondered if I’d ever have a chance to meet.
I finally got my letter from Juan David (or the picture of it that Julian e-mailed me). What a gift! Short and sweet, he sent his love and concern for David over a recent injury. He also expressed happiness over having a family.
Julian attached pictures of the three kids, now two years older than the last time I saw them. A picture of Viviana standing with her friends showed her hair now much longer. She smiled from ear to ear, looking as pretty as ever. Another picture with Julian beside her captured the endearing love between them. Julian’s smile melted my heart, one of the most beautiful smiles I’ve ever seen. He even attached pictures of him and Juan David together, too.
I found one particular picture of Juan David a little too blurry to see clearly.
“What is Juan David doing in that picture?” I asked Julian a few days later.
“Blowing you kisses. We took that picture just for you.” Eight months of silence, and now I got kisses all the way from Colombia right to my computer screen. More than enough grace to get me through the day, especially considering I thought I’d never know another thing about him.

After months of wallowing in self-pity, I now wondered how I got so lucky to be loved by these three precious orphans. I finally found the closure I always wished for. I printed out all the pictures and hung them on the wall in the spare bedroom, surrounding a small framed poster defining Scriptural FAITH as the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1).






No comments:

Post a Comment