Thursday, June 25, 2015

What love will make you do

 
 
 
Preparing for Juan David didn’t require as much work since he and David would share a room. They liked the same things and would likely share many of them (bunk beds, soccer balls and equipment, toys and games). Plus we didn’t want to do much pre-shopping for Juan David, already a pre-teen. We wanted to give him more of a choice in what we purchased for him. His top bunk awaited his arrival, we planned to put him on a soccer team right away, and half a closet full of donated clothes waited for him.
Juan David knew our plan to adopt him all along. We rarely ever discussed it, and I found it hard to not slip up and say something as the time got closer. Since Viviana knew I’d visit someday and bring her presents, I accidentally carried the same conversation over into one of my phone calls with him.  He quickly closed up after he heard me say the word visit. I wondered if it made him think we’d changed our minds. He didn’t want a visitor. He wanted a family.
I sensed his attitude from the start of our phone call relationship. He didn’t mind talking, but he stayed pretty closed off until I mentioned being in the process to try to adopt him (specifically what they told me I could tell him). His whole mood changed after that, and he talked openly and freely, almost as if he needed a purpose for our conversations. He wasn’t going to let just anybody in.
In our following conversation, we talked heart to heart, and I told him the truth. I knew deep down that I didn't make the wisest choice by having that conversation. On the other hand, knowing his age, I knew I needed to speak honestly with him. I needed him to know he could trust me. (I didn’t consider how such a conversation might come back to haunt me later.)
Our phone calls felt more fun and lighthearted from that moment on, helping me convince myself I’d made the right choice. We compared information about our countries and cultures a lot.
“What month do you celebrate Valentine’s Day in your country? What month do you start school? When does your school year end? What do you do at Halloween? Does David dress up? Do you wear a costume?” He loved learning about our holidays, our educational system, and about the way we do things here in the States. I enjoyed having him teach me all about his own culture in Colombia, too.
That summer held so many ups and downs. On one particular Sunday, our teaching pastor preached a special sermon on adoption. Our Adoption Ministry at the church set up a booth for anyone to find out more about the ministry after the service, plus to advertise an upcoming mini-conference later in the summer to help anyone learn how to start an adoption process. Mike and I volunteered at the booth at our campus for all three services. I couldn’t think of a more wonderful way to use our waiting time than to encourage and inspire other couples to look into adoption too.
During the service, the media team played a slideshow with pictures of many adoptive families in the church, as well as pictures of those in the process. Some couples held up a flag of the country they planned to adopt from and a big question mark.
For our picture, the three of us held up a picture of Juan David and Viviana, looking at them with a longing in our eyes. The slide show brought tears to my eyes every time I watched it. One day soon our family picture would indeed be complete. We would have more than a picture to hold—we’d have two children to hold in our arms and give hugs and kisses to every night.
After the final service, we met up with some friends for lunch. I probably glowed for hours after such an inspiring morning. As we left the restaurant a little while later, we all spotted a truck in the adjacent parking lot with puppies for sale.
 “Please, please, please, please, please can we go see them?” David begged, tugging on my arm. I’m not a dog person, but I complied. I’m still not sure how this happened, but one precious little pup completely captured my heart.
Still reflecting over the morning service, Viviana dominated my thoughts. She wanted a dog. She loved dogs. She even asked me send her host family’s dog to her in the mail because she loved it so much during her summer stay. She squealed every time she heard my neighbor’s dog bark through the phone.
Before I knew it, I reached for the cash in my pocket and walked away with a dog.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment