Thursday, June 11, 2015

The first of many unexpected tears



Unexpected Tears
(To Viviana)


Thoughts of you dance through my head,
yet much to my surprise,
I find my heart aching
as the tears fall from my eyes.

This waiting has been equally hard
both for you and for me.
You long for me to come see you,
I wonder when "Adoption Day" will be.

An expectant mother often wonders
about the color of her baby's eyes.
I've already looked deeply into yours
and envision them with each sunrise.

A pregnant mother imagines
the sound of her child's voice.
I've memorized the sound of yours,
even amidst so much background noise.

I've heard your smile when you're happy,
I've heard you giggle with delight,
I've detected sadness in your voice,
and I've heard your weariness at night.

You keep asking when I'm coming,
I keep wondering when I'll go.
We both dream of reuniting,
as our bond continues to grow.

You don't forget a single word
that I utter to you over the phone.
I cherish every word you say
as I long to bring you home.

I expected to bond with your brother,
as our talks carry a more natural tone.
I expected to win your heart through his
due to how your love for him has shown.

Now every time I say I love you
and you say you love me, too,
a part of my heart lies broken
until the law declares it all true.

I ache for you, my Princess,
more than I ever thought I would.
My arms long to hold you

and call you "mi hija" for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment