Sunday, May 24, 2015

Bonding time



Silence Broken


From the moment I first saw them
amidst the whole group of fourteen,
my heart embraced the siblings
I found on my computer screen.

After many prayers for guidance,
and a chance to spend a day with them,
I found my heart completely captured,
treasuring each moment like a gem.

Thus began a mound of paperwork,
an intense interrogation of our lives.
Each success and failure under a microscope
while we shared our passions and our drives.

Every day that I heard nothing,
I wondered what was wrong.
I fought between faith and anxiety,
knowing this process would be long.

Many days I'm filled with hope,
so humbled by such a call.
Other days I can't seem to rest,
so afraid of hitting a wall.

As I wait on yet another clearance,
and attempt to raise what funds remain,
I'm taking the opportunity
to hear their voices again.

We started with a simple phone call,
so brief yet so profound.
The silence has now been broken.
I don't want to miss a single sound.

I still can hear their voices,
our conversations play in my head.
I hear the background noise around them.
I remember every word they said.

He said he needed school supplies.
She said she had a lot of friends.
His environment seemed rather quiet,
Hers sounded loud and quite intense.

He said he was reading.
She worked on homework at the time.
He seemed polite and respectful.
Her telephone skills weren't so prime.

She said she was in first grade.
He said he was in grade four.
She talked about a doll and a suitcase.
He said I could call him more.

So now I don't have to wait
to start building the bond I so desire.
What a memory to pass on to my children
Of God bonding us over a wire . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment