Sunday, April 5, 2015

El Salvador? Colombia? One? Two?

 
?????

As I finished my morning time of prayer, I went inside. David still slept soundly in his bed, so I sat down at the computer in the spare bedroom to check my e-mail. I browsed through several new messages, and one in particular caught my eye regarding the chance to meet an older child from Colombia who needed a family.
 I remembered inquiring recently about an organization that brings older orphans from Colombia for a summer hosting program, so I opened the e-mail to find out more about the actual kids coming. Their ages normally ranged from nine to fourteen years old, and they would stay in the United States for five weeks in order to experience life with a family. The program welcomes visiting families to come meet the children, hoping one will consider becoming a forever family to each child. The kids stayed with families in cities all over the States, but fourteen of them would soon reside in Austin, Texas, only a few hours away from us. This e-mail included photos of all fourteen of them.
To be honest, the ages of the kids didn’t speak to me since we already set our hearts on a girl close in age to our son. I glanced through the pictures, anyway, looking specifically for a five or six-year-old girl. By the time my eyes reached the bottom of the page, a picture of a six-year-old little girl, Viviana, stared back at me, almost locking my eyes with hers.
I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. “Is this your answer, God? Could she be the child waiting for us?”
I read her short biography and description, and I soon found out she came with a sibling, her ten-year- old brother, Juan David. They wanted nothing more than to be adopted together, of course.
Mike and I never discussed adopting siblings, nor had we even considered a boy, especially one older than David. But something kept tugging at my heart, so I glanced at his biography, too. Wow. He and David shared many things in common, including a birthday month and a passion to play soccer. He also loved and excelled in Math, the area where David already showed obvious talent, even at the age of six.
“Could this be, God? Two of them?” My mind raced with possibilities.
I mentioned the idea to David later that day while he played in his bedroom. “What if we adopted a boy and a girl together?”
He wasn’t against the idea until I mentioned Juan David’s age. “No. No. No. I want to stay the oldest. I don’t want a brother older than me. No. Not gonna happen.”
But, as the day went on, I couldn’t get those two siblings off my mind. David and I talked off and on throughout the day about it. I mentioned things he already had in common with Juan David. We discussed the adventure of playing soccer in the yard with his big brother every day after school. I could stay inside to play with dolls and do hair with Viviana, while Juan David showed David all the cool soccer moves they do in Colombia.
The more I talked it up, the more his heart softened to the idea. In fact, he even jokingly asked me a few days later if we could adopt Juan David and not Viviana. God continued to work on him.
After I shared my thoughts with Mike, his openness surprised me. “Wherever God leads, we’ll go.”
I printed out those two little pictures and put them on the refrigerator. We prayed for both of them every day after that.
 By the end of the week, David and I went on a little date together to our favorite restaurant. While we ate, he looked up at me and said, “Mommy, do you love them?”
I looked into his little six-year-old eyes and said, “Yes, Sweetheart, I do. I pray for them every day, and I can truly say I already love them.”
With more maturity than I even knew that little boy possessed, he looked back into my eyes and said, “Then we better go down to meet them before someone else does.”


No comments:

Post a Comment